Easy Vegan Brownies 'Real Feel' (also Gluten Free!)
Hey !! I hope you are all doing well!
It has been months, even years, I wanted to create a vegan brownie recipe. I cannot believe I haven’t made it sooner (it’s been 4 years I’ve been vegan). I went to a café this week and had a vegan brownie and it just inspired me to create !!!
The truth is, before being vegan, the brownie (especially the one from my sister) was one of my favorite choc cake. I love everything about a brownie, the strength of chocolate taste, the chewy part but also the cracking part at the top. I love the nuts inside, I mean, I just love a GOOD brownie.
And, I’m picky about brownies. Not all cakes get to be called brownies if they include chocolate and nuts and especially in the vegan food world, nothing disappoints me more than when the result doesn’t match the title. Like HOW deceiving !! Feel me ?
I could have made the same brownie recipe I use to make when I was a kid. Replacing butter by margarine, and then normal flour, flax egg, and sugar. Yes. The taste would probably would have been super similar. Yes. But at the same time, I love a healthy take on desserts. I like when desserts taste like real desserts but are a bit healthier you know ?! Also, i’m here to share healthy stuff so that’s what I do!!!
So that’s where this recipe it’s at: It’s healthy but not too healthy. It’s decadent, delicious, will please any non-vegan people, great to bring to parties, and it’s also gluten free (I am not coeliac but I know some of you are so I wanted to make something for everyone!).
If you are a visual person & LOVE to see recipes come to life, check out my instagram and see how you can incorporate the brownie into a smoothie bowl !! 😊
Alright, so let’s get baking!
DELICIOUS & EASY VEGAN BROWNIE (GF, wholefoods)
This will make a 20cm x 20cm dish - about 6 big serve or 8snacking serves!
120g rice flour (3/4 cup + 1tbsp)
100g dark chocolate of choice (check reduced sugar for healthier version) + few squares
85g brown cane sugar (1/4 cup + 1/8cup + 1tbsp)
40g melted coconut oil (little less than 1/4 cup)
60g cashews, raw (a huge handful)
100g apple sauce unsweetened (1/2 cup)
2 tablespoon raw cacao powder (about 25g)
A handful of nuts
A sprinkle sea salt
1. Melt the chocolate + coconut oil in a double boiler.
2. Add cashews, flour & cacao powder to a food processor and blend until all is mixed. Some small cashew bits can remain.
3. In a big bowl, add the melted mix (from step 1), and incorporate the dry mix (from step 2).
4. Add in the sugar and apple sauce and pinch of sea salt. Mix well. It should form a sticky goey dough.
5. Line or oil (or use vegan butter) to grease your dish. Add the mix, should be around 2-3 cm thick. Press with your clean hands. Add crushed walnuts on the top (pressing more or less through the dough) as well as extra chocolate :p.
6. Bake in the oven for 26min at 180°C. Allow to cool 15minutes in the dish and 15minutes out of the dish before cutting up! and enjoy!!! Store in the fridge and allow a few minutes at room temperature before eating (coconut oil will make it hard).
And that's about it for this recipe! So easy peasy right ? I was super stoked with how all turned out! Now, there isn’t this nice little texture at the top of the brownie, I still need to work on that (and I think it would require a less healthy version) but when it comes to texture and taste I think we’re onto something!!!
I can’t wait to have your feedback about it here in the comments (this helps other readers to know if it’s worth givin a try!) Don’t forget to pin it too and tag me on instagram @amelietahiti so I can share it!!
Oh and one more thing! If you like food, have you seen my latests youtube videos ? here’s one of them!
Thanks for reading!
Lots of love,