Matcha & Kiwi Raw Cake: it's cashew-free!
Well, this post should have been on the blog a few weeks ago already, I'm sorry I kinda lacked time !
BUT, finally it's here.. and friends, THIS ONE is a WINNER & KEEPER !
Yes, this raw cake does taste amazing (although, that is not your comfort, goey, decadent dessert.. more like a fresh touch), but most importantly it's CASHEW FREE! Which means, it feels lighter & it's way more budget friendly ! Plus, I know quite a lot of people who are intolerant to cashews so this should do the trick too!
Alrighty, ready to know what's up ? Keep reading & happy no-baking ! :p
In this raw cake I am using high quality matcha powder. Please do not neglect quality when you seek for your green matcha. The product can actually be labelled organic while it's been heated up (lost nutrients) or harvested or stored in poor conditions... Matcha is a pricey product. It should be vibrant green and have a pleasant smell !
Anyhoo, here is the recipe for the Raw Vegan Matcha & Kiwi Cake!
NB: Before starting, please read carefully the full recipe as some steps require setting/soaking time..
VEGAN RAW CAKE - KIWI, MATCHA, CASHEW-FREE
You will need :
½ cup dried pineapple* (about 1.5 slice)
3/4 cup dates (about 8 normal)
½ cup + 2tbsp shredded coconut
3/4 cup oats
2 small crystallised ginger (less if you want!)
* I couldn't find unsweetened dried pineapple, so if you do, maybe add a bit more dates and less pineapple..
1 cup soaked sunflower seeds (here's the trick!) 5 hours minimum or overnight.
1/2 cup maple syrup
4 tbsp coconut butter (or 2tbsp oil + 2 tbsp coconut shredded)
2 tbsp coconut milk (or 3 icedcubes)
1 tbsp lemon juice
Kiwi layer (white) :
3/4 of the first prep
1 fresh kiw
Matcha Layer (green) :
1/4 remaining first prep
1 tsp matcha powder - (I use The Matcha Reserve)
3 tbsp lemon juice
Start, of course, by soaking your sunflower seeds (put them in a jar and pour water till top of jar so they soak in for at least 5 hours or overnight)
1. Start by making the base. To do so, simply pulse all the ingredients in your high speed blender or food processor. It will start making a thin powder (don't stop there!) and after that, it will start to stick together more and kind of crumble (wait till this happens!). Maybe you will need to adjust quantity of date/oats as it depends if they are very dry or super goey!
Then pour the basemix in a lined cake mould or silicon, and press firmly with your (clean) hands to create a flat surface. Put in freezer to make step 2.
2. Do the first preparation of cake, which will then be divided for the 2 flavours. Simply add all ingredients (remove skin of kiwis*) to a blender and mix till you obtain something smooth, lump free, quite thick and fluid (yea that kind of description... i'm sorry!) Might take a little while!
3. Pour about 3/4 of this preparation on top of the base. Cut a kiwi and press it down into the batter and just give the dish a gentle shake/tap-tap on counter to flatten everything and remove any air. You've just made the kiwi layer. Pop it back in the freezer to set - at least 10-15 minutes.
4. Matcha Layer. Be sure to wait at least 15 minutes after the kiwi layer so it had time to set a little. Add matcha powder and more lemon juice to the prep remaining in the blender, blend once more. Adjust matcha for color. Pour that on top of the kiwi layer. Decorate now so it will stick to the cake while setting.
5. Pop in freezer at least 4 hours (overnight is ideal)
6. Before eating, allow to thaw for 15-20 minutes room temperature. ENJOY !
Never freeze the cake (or any other food btw) once it's been unfrozen. You can keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, or like me, you can slice the cake with hot knife blade, and put it back in the freezer ... then you just take the slice you need when you want!
So, are you keen to try ?
Let me just tell you.. i've recreated this raw cake multiple flavors after I found sunflower seed worked so good !! I did a chocolate / lemon one for christmas actually ! SO GOOD ! I can't wait for you to try and have your feedback on here or instagram and please tag me so I can see your recreations & share !!
If you want even more recipes from me, don't forget I have a youtube channel and I've also made an ebook just for you with - aside other things - more than 60 healthy & vegan recipes ! Check it out :)
Lots of love !!
Until next time !