Matcha Riz-au-lait with caramelised pears
So last week I posted a photo for a giveaway on my instagram (btw, follow me there not to miss future ones ;) @amelietahiti) and lots of you wanted the recipe of the dish, so here it is!
Riz-au-lait is a traditional french recipe - made with regular milk - that you may translate to 'Rice Pudding', but I think the french one has a very notable taste, so maybe it's the same.. maybe it's not! haha
Luckily, it is very easily veganised with plant-based milk, without altering the taste or texture. I don't know why I never make this recipe more often, because every time I do, I tell myself I could just live off it for the rest of my life, and be ok with it.
It is THAT good.
and THAT versatile..
OK .. did I not convince you ? Check this out :
While I always have the same basic recipe for the rice, this time I thought adding matcha to it because it gives a really nice flavour and also is a great health allie and to kick start the day (it contains caffeine)! I paired it with cardamom caramelised pears - joke, I PEARed it with that. I'm funny like this sometimes.
Now, let's get into this very simple recipe, shall we?
CREAMY VEGAN MATCHA RIZ-AU-LAIT
You will need (makes 2-3 serving)
For the riz au lait:
150g (3/4cup) dry round rice, arborio type
700ml soy milk
2.5 tablespoons coconut sugar
fresh vanilla bean
1 to 2 tsp Matcha Powder (I use The Matcha Reserve)
For the cardamom caramelised pears :
3 yellow pears, sliced
4 dattes, chopped
half lemon juice
2 open cardamom pods + 2 extra that you remove later
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, reduce heat, add rinsed rice and let it pre-cook for 7 minutes. Then, drain.
2. Combine soy milk, pre-cooked rice and sugar in a pot. Slice a vanilla bean in half, lengthwise, and scrape down the powder with the back of a thin knife. Add powder and bean to the pot.
3. Bring pot to a low boil and immediately reduce to low heat. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, do step 4.
4. Make the caramelised pears by adding chopped dattes, sliced pears and other ingredients (except water) to a non stick pan. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes on low-medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally. Adjust sweetness to your liking and add splash of water if needed but you must let the pears stick to the pan at some point so it creates that golden caramel! Allow to cool completely, remove 2 extra cardamom pods and store in air tight jar for up to a week !
5. Allow the rice pudding to cool down 10-15 minutes. This will make it extra creamy. Then, adjust with liquid if necessary.
6. Add matcha powder to the rice and stir, off the heat.
7. Serve Riz au Lait topped with caramelised pears, fresh fruits and almond butter :p
Now, before you ask , my bowls come from Coconut Bowls and you get 10% off their website with the code "AMELIE". The matcha powder I use and have been using for more than a year is The Matcha Reserve Ultra Premium Matcha! This post is not sponsored by any of the brands. I just really love them both :)
Are you going to try this recipe ? I would love to know what you think of it so PLEASE tag me on insta so I can see & share !!
Don't forget I also have plenty more recipes in my EBOOK so don't miss out on all the yummy healthy vegan food you could make for life!!!!
Lots of love,