Tahitian Coconut Bread «pain coco»
Hi friends ! 🌴
Are you keen on discovering one of Tahiti's specialty food ?! 😁 Let me introduce you..
Mister Pain Coco !
Mister Pain Coco is between bread and brioche, it can be eaten on its own, with a sweet spread (jam, vegan nutella, nut butter..), or with a savoury dish (including traditionnal 'poisson cru' which I veganised the recipe for in my ebook !
You can find it anywhere in Tahiti, but if you've been to the islands, don't mistake it with Pain Coco from Tuamotu islands which is different and cooked in traditional oven (#notYOURtraditionalOven). I remember going to my local shop for lunch, when I was in middle school- Champion Paofai- I would buy and eat a whole loaf of Pain Coco with some fruits for lunch! hmmm.. #YOLO !
Pain Coco is naturally vegan, just make sure if you are there, they didn't use egg yolk to make it shiny ! I'm super happy to share with you this recipe which I need to make more because I tots forgot how yummy it was 😻😻
Here are some photos from the process + a little video on how you can make my own coconut milk !
PAIN COCO DE TAHITI
- 2 cups or 250g all-purpose flour (T65)
- 160ml coconut milk - fresh best !!!
- 20ml (about 2tbsp) lukewarm coconut water or water
- 30g coconut sugar (about 3tbsp)
- 6g baker's dry yeast
- small pinch of salt
How to :
1. in a small bowl, mix yeast & lukewarm water and let it foam a bit (4-5 minutes)
2. in a big bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt
3. Make a hole in the flour and add the yeast mix and the coconut milk, stir everything together with your hands until it doesn't stick to your fingers anymore. Make a ball.
4. On a clean, floured surface, kneed the dough for about 10 minutes till elastic and soft. Make ball again.
5. Add a bit of flour in your salad bowl, place the dough. Cover with clean dishcloth. Let it rise till it doubles in volume (about 1h)
6. Kneed dough again, removing air. Separate in 3 or 4 equal parts.
7. Grease a cake pan with coco oil or use a silicon one. Place doughs in. Let rise till they double in volume again (about 40min)
8. Preheat oven at 150°C - then, cook for about 45 minutes.
9. Let cool down a bit before removing from pan or cut.
10. Devour! This bread dries up pretty quickly so I suggest you eat it within one day! :)
As always, if you enjoyed this recipe or tried it, let me know in the comments so I know what you like to see in my next blog posts ! Don't forget to tag me on your beautiful recreations! I'll share some in my insta story! Can't wait to see :D